The Quality Assurance (QA) function performs checks to ensure that numbers, symbols, dates, country names and UNTERM Title entries are correctly translated, as well as consistency checks for repeated sentences.
1. QA menu options
The QA menu is located in the main menu and includes three options:
- A Basic Check to verify numbers, dates and symbols.
- A UNTERM Check to verify terminology stored in the UNTERM portal.
- A Shared Terms check to verify terms or phrases that have been added to the Shared Terms panel.
Click the corresponding toggle button to turn each check on and off. The options can be activated together or separately.
Any issues detected by the quality assurance functionality are flagged using an exclamation mark in a red disk next to the segment number. The error identified by QA will be highlighted in red. Hover the mouse pointer on the highlighted text in red or over the exclamation mark icon to see a tooltip explaining the issue.
2. Basic check
Basic check flags the following issues:
- Inconsistency: If you translate identical segments in different ways or if you translate different segments the same way. The tooltip indicates the segment number relative to which the inconsistency has been detected.
- Missing items: If there are numbers, dates or document symbols in the source segment which are absent or different in the target segment.
3. UNTERM check
UNTERM check flags the following issues
- Country names: the system will flag translation of country names that does not correspond to the UNTERM official country name records. This includes cases in which the source has a short name and a long variant is used in the translation, and viceversa.
- Missing Title: titles in the source segment that were not translated in the target segment using the equivalent in UNTERM. It does not flag records with Type=Terms, given that translation in these cases relies too much on context.
- Avoid or Superseded terms: these terms appear crossed out in UNTERM and will be flagged as such if used in the translation. These are the only record Type=Term that are used in QA.
4. Shared Terms check
Shared Terms check flags translations that do not match the translation stored in the Shared Terms panel.